Every summer we hear about things like this, but normally it doesn't happen anywhere near our community.
Keyword: normally... Because, if you live in Texas, last week a man in your state dipped his toes in the water near Waters Edge Park by downtown Corpus Christi and contracted vibriosis, a flesh-eating bacteria.
Meet Adam Perez, a 42-year-old man who underwent several life-saving surgeries last week.
Perez said he didn't have any open wounds at the time, which the Vibrio bacteria typically use as entry into the body, but his right toe was infected with fungus, creating an opening between his skin and toe nail.
Doctors prescribed him antibiotics, but the swelling did not subsist after several days, and a giant blister formed on his foot, Perez said. He rushed to the emergency room, where he was diagnosed with vibriosis and told his life was at risk if he didn't undergo surgery.
Perez said his difficulties are hardly over. Homeless prior to the diagnosis, Perez said he will likely return to the streets after he is discharged from the hospital. He remains in the hospital, awaiting a plastic surgeon to cover his now exposed leg with skin grafts.
According to the CDC, about 80,000 people are infected with vibriosis, which is caused by the Vibrio bacteria. The bacteria live in coastal waters and increase concentration when the water warms between May and October.