In addition to being a Chinese communist disinformation tool, TikTok is also a place where children engage in dangerous and risky behavior.
A 12-year-old Oklahoma boy died Tuesday after attempting to do a new social media challenge on TikTok, NBC affiliate KFOR reported.
The boy reportedly tried the "blackout challenge," which involves a person choking themselves to the point of unconsciousness. TikTok has been actively removing videos of the trend, saying they violate its community guidelines.
The boy, who has not been identified, was found by police with ligature marks around his neck Monday evening, according to KFOR. The boy was immediately taken to the hospital, where he died early the next morning.
Family members said the child's death was from the TikTok "blackout" challenge gone wrong.
"It all basically comes down to is where a kid tries to asphyxiate themselves to the point of unconsciousness, and then once they start to gain their consciousness back is when they get a euphoria-like feeling," Bethany police Lt. Angelo Orefice told reporters, according to WMUR9.
Following the boy's death, police warned parents about the trend on the social media platform.